How to make Chicken Nihari: The word Nihari in South Asian cuisine is derived from the Arabic word Nahar, which means “morning.” Therefore it is also referred to as Nihari because the meals are eaten first thing in the morning.
The fundamentals of Nihari cuisine originated in the backstreets of India’s Jama Masjid in Delhi, which is the center of Delhi, or after the collapse of the Mughal Empire in the late 18th century. Chicken Nihari, a popular Pakistani dish, is rich and hearty. Here’s a guide to preparing Chicken Nihari at home:
- chicken: 1 kg
- vegetable oil: 1/2 cup
- Finely Chopped Onion: 2 medium
- ginger garlic paste: 3 tablespoon
- flour: 2 Tablespoon
- Red chili powder: 1 Tablespoon
- Turmeric powder: 1 Teaspoon
- Cumin powder: 1 Teaspoon
- oriander powder: 1 Teaspoon
- garam masala powder: 1 Teaspoon
- salt: 1 Teaspoon
- water: 6-8 cups
- Nihari Masala: 2-3 Teaspoon
- Lemon Juice: Piece
- chopped fresh cilantro: 1/2 cup
- fried onions (optional): 1/2 cup
- Ginger slices and green chili for garnish
- Naan bread or rice for serving
How to make Chicken Nihari: Instruction
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onions and brown until they look golden brown.
- Add ginger and garlic paste to a frying pan over medium heat until fragrant.
- Put the chicken and add a small amount of fat to the pan for 5-7 minutes until it’s browned.
- Sieve flour into a bowl and mix in onion and chicken bits by hand until fully combined. Cover for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add ginger powder, turmeric powder, cumin powder, coriander powder, garam masala powder, and salt. Mix well to combine.
- Boil water and include some Nihari masala. Simmer the mixture over medium heat until it softens, taking care not to overcook it. Stir periodically to prevent sticking.
- Once you’re done cooking the chicken, add the lemon juice, cilantro, and fried onions (if using) to the liquid mixture. Thoroughly mix it and let it simmer for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Garnish with ginger segments and green chilies. Serve with naan bread and rice.
Enjoy your own Chicken Nihari!